China Domestic Travel Restrictions 2022
China domestic travel restrictions is more friendly in the second half of 2022. With the national Covid-19 epidemic basically under control, sporadic cases occasionally emerge in parts of China. It is safer to travel within mainland of China now.
Expats living or working in China have the necessary to travel around China now and then. So what’s documents they need to travel around China? Generally speaking, expats should have valid original passport, 7-day dynamic trip record and GREEN healthy code.
However, what make travelling within China complicated is different cities have their own policies or their policies are even changeable. Different destinations have different EXTRA requirements. Some cities or tourist attractions may require your negative PCR test result within 48 hours; some may require your proof of residence in China; some may require your certificate of working in China over 90 days. As expats in China, you may be confused with the policies of different province, different cities. Therefore, please feel free to contact us and get updated policies of your destinations.
Contact us via WeChat
for any inquiry
Scan ChinaTravel QR Code
Can I Travel around China Now?
As expats in China, you can travel within China as long as you meet the requirement of your destinations. DON NOT forget that different destinations have different policies. Before heading to your destinations, please confirm the local policies with us.
Typically speaking, most cities ask for the 4 documents. Please take a look below:
- Your original Chinese visa.
- Your original passport.
- GREEN health code.
- 7 day dynamic trip record.
Some cities/provinces will ask for additional documents, such as Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia and etc.
- 2~7 days negative PCR test result(Inner Mongolia, etc)
- Residence permit(Inner Mongolia, etc)
- Working proof(Inner Mongolia, Tibet, etc).
- People with a travel history in high or medium-risk areas within 7 days cannot apply for Tibet Permit(Tibet)
- A residence permit to prove that you haven’t left the mainland of China for 28~90 days (Tibet requires at least 90 days)
All in all, the policies of each city change from time to time. If you would like to know the latest information or policy about destinations within China, please feel free to contact us by email, Wechat, or phone.
Do I Need to Apply for A New Health Code?
Before heading for your destinations, make sure your Health Code should be GREEN. Moreover, different cities have their own Health Codes. Please apply for the local Health Code on the local Health Kit before departure. And also find the Health Kit list of some main cities below.
There are 2 methods to apply for a Health OR Code: by Alipay or by Wechat.
- How to find Health Code on Wechat: Open your Wechat--Me--Services--Daily Services--Health Code.
- How to find Health Code on Alipay: Open your Alipay--Home page--Search “Health Code”
4 Steps to get your Health OR Code:
- Fill with your personal information on a sign-up page(your name, passport number, phone number)
- Report your travel record (it is in order to confirm whether you have intimate contact with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 cases or not
- On the last page, you will find “tick the boxes”. If you have the following symptoms: fever, cough, stuffy nose, running nose, throat ache and etc, please tick it/them. If not, skip it.
- Your information will be verified and then you will be assigned a green/red/amber QR code.
How to Get a Dynamic Trip Record for Expats in China
Now over 89.68% of the total population has been fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Most expats and Chinese people are travelling as usual now. However, no matter whether you’re expats or Chinese, hotels will require you provide your 7-day Dynamic Trip Record to prove that you didn’t go/travel to medium/high-risk areas within 7 days. (It’s used to require 14-day Dynamic Trip Record and the duration is shorten from July 8.)
4 steps to get your Dynamic Trip Record:
Tips for Expats Travel in China under Restriction in 2022
Expats live or work in China for a long time and you may be more familiar with China. However, you may be still confused when facing changeable restriction policies in different cities. In order to void unexpected/embarrassing situations, we’re here to list some useful and essential tips for you. Hope the tips will enable you a wonderful and smooth trip.
Make Sure Your Passports Are Valid
A passport is proof of one’s nationality. As expats in China, your passports are as important as Chinese people’s identity card. Thus, you have to make sure your passports are valid before starting a trip and also keep your passport safe during the trip. In an unexpected situation, if you lose your passport during the trip, you should apply to your country’s embassy for a new passport.
Be Prepared for Changes During Your Trip
Due to the changeable travel restriction, your plan may not be able to keep up with changes. After you set down your tour plan, your living areas become medium or high-risk areas; after you set down your tour plan, your health codes become red. Then your destinations doesn’t accept visitors coming from medium or high-risk areas. Or even after you set down your tour plan, your destinations become medium/high-risk areas! Then your living area doesn’t allow you to travel to the destinations! Or even during the trip, you may experience changeable policies.
All of the above is possible. So keep calm for changes during your trip.
Watch out for Crowds during Peak Seasons
As expats living, working, or studying in China, your holidays seems to be the same as Chinese people. China has a large population so it will be extremely crowded during the holiday, such as Labor Day, summer holiday, National Day, Chinese Spring Festival and etc.
Travel with Trustworthy Travel Agency
It‘s a good idea to find a reliable travel agency. With the assistance of an experienced travel agency, you don’t have to think about confusing restriction policies. Let your agency take care of your trip and analyze the policies for you. Or when you meet the unexpected situation, for example, the sporadic outbreak of Covid-19 along the way, the agency and private guide can assist you to avoid some problem or try to adjust the tour plan for you as soon as possible. China Travel is an agency has been operated for over 12 years and we’re experienced in dealing with emergency situations. Travel with China Travel to enjoy worry-free service!
How to Choose A Summer Heat Escape Destination I Can Go?
Under the latest travel restriction policies, where I can go? How to choose a destination to escape the summer heat in China? Take a look at the temperature map below. The temperature won’t tell a lie.
Summer is hot and days are long. You’re looking for somewhere to escape the heat and make you refresh. We’re here to prepare some recommendations for your Summer holiday in August. Perfect destinations for a summer day.
1. Tibet - Charming temperature
The summer in Tibet is very short while the average temperature of August is around 20℃ （68℉). It's very comfortable temperature. Expats have to apply for Tibet Permit before heading for Tibet. For expats living or working in China mainland, 6 documents are necessary to apply for your Tibet Permit. But the documents won't be complicated. Don't be scared. Just cooperate with your travel agency and your Tibet trip will be smooth. To get detail, please feel free to contact us.
Recommended Tibet Tour:
Small Group: 6-Day Lhasa and Shigatse Tour
- Day 1 Airport/Train station to hotel transfer (Lhasa)
- Day 2 Lhasa: Potala Palace--Johkang Temple--Barkor Street
- Day 3 Lhasa: Drepung Monastery--Sera Monastery
- Day 4 Lhasa to Gyantse to Shigatse: Yamdrotso Lake--Karola Glacier--Gyantse Kumbum--Pelkor Monastery
- Day 5 Shigatse to Lhasa: Tashilunpo Monastery--River View of Brahmaputra
- Day 6 Hotel to Airport/Train station transfer (Lhasa)
Contact us via WeChat
for tour inquiry
Scan ChinaTravel QR Code
2. Inner Mongolia - Lush Vast Grassland
Inner Mongolia’s summer is very short. Typically speaking, July and August is her summer time when the temperature range from 16°C (60°F) to 28°C (82°F). It’s pretty comfortable temperature and weather. You can walking on the prairie with mild breeze, sprouting grass.
As long as you meet the following 2 conditions, you can travel to Inner Mongolia without any difficulty. 1. GREEN Healthy Code; 2. Not in med or high risk area (Note: detailed address). Before departure, please also prepare 2 documents: 1. Certificate of employment or proof of residence; 2. Negative PCR test result within 48 hours;
Recommended 9 Best Places to Visit in China in August
8-Day Inner Mongolia Landscape and Culture Immersion Tour
- Tour deep into the Hulunbir Grassland and viewing the stunning scenery along the Mozhigrad River
- Visit the traditional Russian families and Oruguya Ewenke Reindeer Tribe
- Experience the unique horseback riding and be a real Mongolian warrior
Contact us via WeChat
3. Xinjiang - Nature and Ethnic Culture
In August, the temperature range from 15 ℃（59 F） to 30 ℃ (86 F). Warm in day time and cool at ngiht.Thus, you have to prepare coat when pack your luggage. If you would like get more information about this destination, please find our itinerary Memories of Xinjiang Tour or 9 Best Places to Visit in China in August.
The Travel Restriction of Xinjiang is really nice to expats in China. You don’t have to offer or prepare a lot of documents or apply for permit before heading for. Only have to meet two conditions: 1. No travel history to med or high-risk areas within 7 days; 2. Green Health Code.
4. Guilin - Embrace Nature
Although the temperature of August is the highest, the average daily temperature is 24℃ (75 F）- 33℃（91 F）, Guilin is still your ideal escape destination. You will get close to charming karst landform and clear rivers. Taking a Li River cruise, hiking unbelievable manmade terraced rice fields, cycling along countryside of Yangshuo, they will satisfy your summer holiday.
Travel restriction to Guilin:1. Visitors in risk-free areas, you can enter Guilin with Green Health Code and 7-day Green Dynamic Trip Record. 2. Visitors in low-risk areas, you shoud travel to Guilin with negative PCR test result within 48 hours and 7-day Green Dynamic Trip Record. You should take PCR tests on the first and third days after entering Guilin.
Recommended Guilin Tour:
- 3-Day Classical Guilin Tour
- 4-day Guilin and Yangshuo Memories Tour
- 4-Day Guilin, Yangshuo and Longsheng Tour
5-Day Guilin and Yangshuo Off-Beaten Path Tour
- Day 1 Guilin Arrival--Transfer to Your Hotel
- Day 2 Elephant Trunk Hill--Discover the Folk Culture of South China in Daxu Ancient Town--Reed Flute Cave
- Day 3 Xingping Ancient Town--Rafting between Xingping and Nine-Horses-Fresco--Xianggong Hill
- Day 4 Hidden Caves Exploration--West Street of Yangshuo--YangshuoCountryside Visit
- Day 5 Transfer from Yangshuo to Guilin, Guilin Departure
5. Yunnan - Spring-like Weather
If you would like an easy-free tour and look for a destination close to big city like Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou and etc, Yunnan is also a nice choice. Naturally, Chinese people were reminded of the four-seasons-as-one spring climate of Yunnan.
The tourism administration requires visitors to Yunnan to hold Green Health Code and a negative PCR test result within 48 hours. Moreover, visitors have to do a PCR test after arriving in and before leaving Yunnan. Visitors entering Kunming should report in advance on Wechat applet "Kunming Health Kit(昆明健康宝)".
Recommended Yunnan Tour:
- Essence of Ancient Lijiang Tour
- Lijiang and Magnificent Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour
- Authentic Yunnan Discovery
4-Day Yubeng Village Hiking & Meili Snow Mountain
- Day 1 Shangri-La to Yubeng： Big Bend of the Jinsha River--Dongzhulin Monastery--a panoramic view of the Meili Snow Mountains--Feilai Lamasery
- Day 2 Yubeng: Hike from Yubeng Village--Xiaonong Base Camp--Ice Lake--Return by the same way to Yubeng
- Day 3 Yubeng: Hike from upper Yubeng Village to Lower Yubeng--Holy Waterfall
- Day 4 Yubeng to Shangri-La: hike along the spectacular Ninong Canyon to Ninong Village--transfer to Shangri-la by car.
Contact us via WeChat
for tour inquiry
Click for Tour Details